The Carla Gray Memorial Scholarship will be given annually to a single bookseller. Supporting emerging booksellers and their efforts to make a difference in their communities were essential to Carla.
The winning bookseller will be awarded a year-long scholarship for professional development, which includes: up to $1,000 to cover travel and hotel for attendance to Winter Institute, up to $1,000 to cover travel and hotel for attendance to regional tradeshow, and a stipend of up to $1,000 to fund a community outreach project for their store.
Through the trade shows, the bookseller will have the opportunity to connect with other booksellers, publishers, and authors, thus establishing the kind of long-term relationships Carla held dear and which keep this industry thriving. The community outreach project can be anything from providing books to underserved members of the community, to bringing in special speakers - the sky's the limit! The review committee hopes that booksellers will think outside the box and create unique and exciting projects that can be replicated in other bookstores across the country.
This scholarship and its recipients will celebrate and honor Carla's boundless enthusiasm for the books themselves, her delight in pairing the right book with the right reader, and her faith in the bookselling community.
CRITERIA AND ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
• Applicant has at least one year but fewer than 5 years of bookselling experience.
• Applicant is willing and able to commit one year to complete the requirements of the scholarship and intends to remain employed at the designated bookstore until the completion of the community outreach project.
• Applicant’s store is a member in good standing of the ABA and their regional trade association.
• Applicant is a part-time or full-time employee of a bookstore.
• A maximum of one scholarship will be awarded each year.
• Applicant may receive this scholarship only once.
• Bookstore owner agrees to partner on the community outreach project.
REPORTING REQUIREMENTS FOR THE WINNER
• Provide quarterly reports on project progress.
• Final outcome report highlighting experience and project details.